One of my favorite things about Skin Pharm is the open dialogue we have with our patients. We love interacting with you on Instagram, where we’ll ask you questions about topics like the products and services we offer, where we should open our next location, or what we can do to make your experience here better.
I’m often asked how I balance running a business with being a wife and mother to two young children. I’m not going to lie: It’s not easy. But it’s also the most gratifying life I could have imagined. I don’t claim to have all the answers, but I have figured out that living a roughly 80/20 life works for me.
Roughly 80/20? What does that mean?
The fact that I’m calling it a “roughly 80/20 life” tells you a lot about me. I’m not the kind of person who counts every calorie or micro manages every second of the day. There are days where I’ll come home from the office, have dinner with my family, and after the kids are in bed, I’ll have an idea that I want to explore or bounce off my husband Brad. I can’t predict when inspiration will strike, so I can’t draw a hard line between work and play.
I aim to be disciplined 80% of the time. When it comes to diet, I do my best to eat nourishing food — high protein and low carb works for me — and fit in regular workouts. I never eliminate anything, but I bring healthy food to the office — I love salads and the hot kale wrap from E+Rose — so I have plenty of fuel to get through a busy day. I constantly drink water throughout the day, as I know it’s important to hydrate from the inside out. I limit the amount of caffeine and alcohol I consume, because I feel the toll it takes on my skin.
For exercise, I’m a big fan of CorePower Yoga, especially their incredible Yoga Sculpt classes, and I try to get a solid workout in three times a week. I like to think that chasing two toddlers around burns calories that I can’t even begin to quantify!
I try to get as much sleep as possible, which can be challenging with young kids, but I notice the effects on my skin — and my mood — when I’m sleep deprived. I’ve also noticed that I need more sleep than I used to (but really, could any of us keep up with the college versions of ourselves today?).
So if that’s the 80%, what’s the other 20% look like?
I’m human. I have days where I snack all day, eat too many carbs and too much sodium, drink tequila and skip workouts. Pizza is a weakness. Cereal is a weakness (if Lucky Charms are in the house, I’m screwed). But I feel the effects of this “20%” behavior pretty quickly, and that’s enough to get me back on track, which is why I don’t feel the need to entirely eliminate anything from my diet. By being disciplined more often than not, my body and skin thank me.
One of my favorite ways to pack nutrients into a quick, easy meal is to make a smoothie. I’ve asked you to share some of your favorite smoothie recipes on Instagram before, but I have a super easy one I keep coming back to: Lean1 Protein (chocolate flavor) mixed with a handful of spinach and either coconut water or water and ice. Sometimes I add a scoop of peanut butter when I use the smoothie as a meal replacement.