What are Cosmetic Filler Injections?
Dermal fillers are gel-like substances that are injected beneath the skin to plump lips, improve under eye hollowing or darkness, lift eyebrows, erase smile lines, and enhance cheekbones, chins, jawlines and temples.
Fillers are different from botulinum toxins such as Botox or Dysport. Instead of “freezing” the muscle, they actually smooth the skin by filling in wrinkles. Most fillers, such as Restylane and Juvederm, use a substance called hyaluronic acid, a naturally occurring substance in your skin that has a unique ability to store moisture, to achieve these results. You may see hyaluronic acid listed as an ingredient on your favorite skin care (hello, Skin Pharm Youth Serum!) because it is used frequently in topical skincare to moisturize the skin. When injected under the skin, it provides a natural plump, hydrated look.
Typical Filler Treatment
At Skin Pharm, we specialize in providing natural results through filler injections. We have more than 10 filler options at our practice, and would love to pick the best one for you and your skin. Our providers will discuss your skin goals and determine which filler or combination of fillers is best suited for you and the results you desire. Generally, the procedure will take about 30 to 60 minutes depending on the type of filler chosen and the areas being injected.
As your appointment approaches, we recommend the following to reduce bruising and/or swelling at the injection site.
- Avoid drinking alcoholic beverages 24 hours prior to your appointment.
- Avoid taking aspirin, ibuprofen or similar blood thinning over-the-counter medications (Advil, Motrin, Aleve, etc.) for one week prior to filler.
- Avoid supplements such as fish oil, ginkgo biloba, primrose oil, garlic, ginseng and Vitamin E for one week prior to filler.
- Avoid waxing, bleaching, tweezing or hair removal cream on the area to be treated for 2 days prior.
- If you have previously suffered from facial cold sores, there is a risk that the needle punctures could contribute to another eruption of cold sores. Please let your provider know if you are prone.
- Hydrate by drinking plenty of water.
- Clear your schedule after filler so you can take time to ice your face and relax.
When you schedule an appointment for fillers, you don’t need to give up your entire day. The total process takes roughly up to an hour. After your consultation — which we insist upon each time to ensure you’ll see the results you want — the injections only take several minutes. In order to maximize your comfort during the procedure, a topical anesthetic may be applied.
Recovery and Results
Recovery time varies for each patient and for each type of filler injected. You can resume most normal activities immediately following the procedure, with the exception of vigorous exercise, hot tubs and saunas. We recommend that you avoid intense physical activity for the first 24 hours after the procedure to minimize swelling and bruising. Immediately after the treatment, you may experience redness, bruising, swelling, tenderness, and/or itching near the injection site. This is normal and generally subsides within several days.
Most patients will see immediate results following their filler treatment. You should expect it to take between 2-4 weeks to see your final result. This is when the filler fully settles and any swelling or bruising completely subsides.
How long the effects of dermal fillers will last depends on the product, the area of treatment, and the patient. Typically, facial fillers will last between 6-18 months.