What are Cosmetic Filler Injections?
Dermal fillers are gel-like substances that are injected beneath the skin to plump lips, enhance cheekbones, chins, jawlines, and temples, improve under eye hollowing or darkness, lift eyebrows, erase smile lines, and generally improve appearance.
Fillers are different from botulinum toxins such as Botox or Dysport in that instead of “freezing” the muscle, they actually smooth the skin by filling in wrinkles. Most fillers, such as Restylane and Juvederm, use a substance called hyaluronic acid to achieve these results. Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring substance in your skin that has a unique ability to store moisture. You may see hyaluronic acid listed as an ingredient on your favorite skin care because it is used frequently in topical skincare to moisturize the skin. When injected under the skin, it provides a natural plump, hydrated look.
Typical Filler Treatment
At Skin Pharm, we specialize in providing natural results through filler injections. We have over ten filler options at our practice, and would love to pick the best one for you and your skin goals. Our Nurse Practitioners will discuss your skin goals and determine which filler or combination of fillers is best suited to meet your individual goals. Generally, the procedure will take about 30 minutes depending on the type of filler chosen.
As your appointment approaches, we recommend the following to reduce bruising and/or swelling at the injection site.
- Avoid drinking alcoholic beverages 24 hours prior.
- Avoid taking aspirin, ibuprofen or similar blood thinning over-the-counter medications (Advil, Motrin, Aleve, etc.) for one week prior to filler.
- Avoid supplements such as fish oil, gingko biloba, primrose oil, garlic, ginseng, and Vitamin E for one week prior to filler.
- Avoid waxing, bleaching, tweezing, or hair removal cream on the area to be treated for 2 days prior.
- If you have previously suffered from facial cold sores, there is a risk that the needle punctures could contribute to another eruption of cold sores. Please let your Nurse Practitioner know if you are prone.
- Clear your schedule after filler so you can take time to ice your face and relax.
In order to maximize your comfort during the procedure, a topical anesthetic may be applied.
Recovery and Results
Recovery time varies for each patient and for each type of filler injected. You can resume most normal activities immediately following the procedure. Immediately after the treatment, you may experience redness, bruising, swelling, tenderness, and/or itching near the injection site. This is normal and generally subsides within a few hours to a few days. It is recommended that you avoid intense physical activity for the first 24 hours after the procedure to minimize swelling and bruising.
Most patients will see immediate results following their filler treatment. You should expect it to take between 7-10 days to see your final result. This is when the filler fully settles and any swelling or bruising fully subsides.
How long the effects of dermal fillers will last depends on the product, the area of treatment, and the patient. Typically, facial fillers will last between 6-18 months.